Simple Kitchen Fire Recovery from the #1 Team
Recovering from a kitchen fire is simple when you work with SERVPRO!
Kitchen fires are a common occurrence in homes across the country. In fact, according to the National Fire Protection Association, kitchen fires account for more than one-third of home fire injuries. While most kitchen fires are caused by simple mistakes like leaving food on the stovetop, they can still cause a lot of damage.
If you experience a kitchen fire, it's essential to take the necessary steps to ensure the fire is put out and the kitchen is adequately restored. Fire damage restoration is a complex process that requires the expertise of professional contractors.
Unfortunately, if you try to restore your kitchen yourself, you could do more harm than good. This article will discuss the steps you need to take if you experience kitchen fire damage.
Common kitchen fire causes
Several things can cause kitchen fires, but the most common cause is cooking mistakes. According to the National Fire Protection Association, two-thirds of kitchen fires are started by cooking equipment. Other common causes of kitchen fire include electrical issues, heating appliances, and careless smoking.
Here are some of the most common causes of kitchen fires:
- Leaving food on the stovetop
- Cooking with oil
- Overheating food
- Smoking indoors
- Wiring issues
What to do if your kitchen catches on fire
If your kitchen catches on fire, the most important thing to do is get out of the house. Get yourself and any other occupants out of the house and call 911. Do not try to put out the fire yourself – you could make the situation worse.
Once you're outside, call the fire department and provide them with as much information as possible. For example, describe the fire, what was burning, and where it is located.
Once the fire department arrives, follow their instructions and do not reenter the house until they have given you clearance. The fire department will likely extinguish the fire and assess the damage. They will then provide instructions on how to proceed with the restoration.
If you experience kitchen fire damage, contact a professional fire damage restoration company. They will have the experience and knowledge necessary to properly assess the damage and take the appropriate steps to restore your kitchen.
How to prevent kitchen fires
Kitchen fires can be a severe issue, but there are steps you can take to help prevent them from happening in the first place. Here are some tips for preventing kitchen fires:
- Be vigilant when cooking. Stay in the kitchen and closely watch food and cooking appliances.
- Keep flammable items away from the stovetop. Don't leave anything on or near the stovetop that could easily catch fire, such as dish towels or oven mitts.
- Check the kitchen for fire hazards. For example, ensure no wires are hanging out of sockets, extension cords running under carpets, or flammable materials stored near the stove.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Make sure it is accessible in case of an emergency.
- Know how to use a fire extinguisher properly. If a fire does break out, know how to use the fire extinguisher to put it out.
- Have a plan in place in case of a kitchen fire. Know what to do if a fire breaks out in your kitchen, and make sure everyone in your household knows what to do.
By following these simple tips, you can help reduce the risk of kitchen fires happening in your home.
SERVPRO of Jackson and Madison Counties: fire damage restoration experts
If your kitchen catches fire, it's essential to take the necessary steps to ensure the fire is put out and the kitchen is restored correctly. Kitchen fire damage can be a serious issue, but there are steps you can take to help prevent them from happening in the first place. The easiest? Keeping a fire extinguisher close at hand!
Our experts are here to help with fire damage restoration services if needed. The experts at SERVPRO of Jackson and Madison Counties have the experience and knowledge necessary to properly assess the damage and take the appropriate steps to restore your kitchen. Let us help you make it "Like it never even happened."